About the Foundation
The Friedrich Naumann Foundation (FNF) is a German political foundation that promotes liberal democracy, rule of law, economic freedom and respect for human rights. Working hand-in-hand with its local partner organisations, the Foundation provides policy consultation as well as educational programmes for interested members of the general public, NGOs and governmental agencies worldwide. In so doing, it aims to contribute towards a freer, more peaceful and more open world society, where people live freely and in peace.
FNF was founded in 1958 by Theodor Heuss (1884-1963), the first President of the Federal Republic of Germany. The Foundation was named after Friedrich Naumann (1860-1919), a pioneer in German liberal politics. Mr. Naumann believed that for democracy to function at its best, civic education is needed to create a politically informed and educated citizenry, who know how to participate in democratic process and have a say on the direction of their nation.
The Foundation operates in more than 60 countries around the world, giving knowledge and advice to voters, NGO activists, academics, economists, journalists, politicians and policy makers. It works together with local NGOs, civil society organisations and educational institutions to share knowledge and to bring about peaceful and positive changes to their respective societies.
The Region of East and Southeast Europe at a Glance
The Foundation’s region of East and Southeast Europe (ESEE) consists of 22 countries in Eastern Europe including Turkey.The Foundation maintains project offices in six locations (Belgrade, Istanbul, Kiev, Moscow, Sofia and Tbilisi) and employs about 50 professional staff. Most offices cover more than one country but the Foundation does not have programmes on the ground in all of the 22 countries. The ESEE Regional Office in Sofia coordinates the Foundation’s work in the project countries. Moreover, the Regional Office has important communications, administrative, auditing, evaluation and monitoring functions. Project activities amount to some 500 events per year with several thousand participants.
Our work is financed by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Co-operation and Development, the German Foreign Office, and, to an increasing extent, the European Union and the European Parliament, as well as other institutions that co-operate in development.
Our Core Topics
- The Best Education: Freedom cannot survive long without education. Likewise, without freedom there is no good education. Education and freedom of choice of educational pathways are the pillars on which every person can build his or her talents.
- Digital and Open Society: The digital society offers a lot of possibilities for creativity development and economic progress, but not at the expense of freedom and privacy. Human and civil rights are the pillars of liberalism. In an open society everyone has the freedom to be oneself and to shape his or her own life.
- The Future of the Social Market Economy: Only the market economy can guarantee personal and social freedom and a high standard of living. However, recently there has been a tendency to undermine the fundamentals of the social market economy – especially the freedom of creativity and innovation. Self-determined citizens should not allow this to happen.
- International Relations: A liberal and peaceful world, open markets and the protection of human rights and the rule of law are at the core of FNF’s global policy work.
For almost 60 years now, FNF has aspired to be the freedom platform for all liberal minded people worldwide.
• Political and civic education should enable more people to participate actively in the political and social processes.
• Within the framework of political dialogue, politicians and representatives of civil society from different countries have the ability to share their experience, learn from each other and find solutions for conflicts.
• Through political consultation, capacities, knowledge and experience, which are important for the strengthening of democratic parties and for the implementation of liberal political models, are communicated to decision-makers representing the liberal spectrum.
We work closely together with citizens’ initiatives, human rights organizations, think tanks, media, political parties and party affiliated organisations, scientific and educational organizations and others.
Our Products and Programmes
Please see below in the gallery our portfolio of our regular programmes and products.
Do not hesitate to get in touch with our Freedom Team.
We will be grateful, if you would follow our digital channels below.
Find out more about our work from the flyer and brochure below.